Thursday, February 12, 2009

Music Perception.

For the greater part of my life my entire world revolved around music. I started playing the violin when I was seven years old and I progressed quite quickly and in about three years, I was performing with the advanced violin group. Everyone there were about six or seven years older than I. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that I wanted to be a music major and eventually a soloist. However, the fun went out of playing the violin after my parents started pushing me hard and making me practice for about three to four hours a day every day of the week. Then, they pushed me to play in different competitions and try out for stuff like the Fort Wayne Youth Symphony and All State Orchestra. I got sick of playing because it now seemed more like a chore than a fun activity. So that's when I decided to say, "Screw this," and decided to major in a completely different field--engineering.

Although I quit taking violin lessons during the last stretch of senior year in high school, my love for music has never diminished. Listening to music is such a treat. I'm constantly discovering underlying harmonies and melodies to songs that I've listened to over and over. Sometimes, when I'm really in the mood to listen to music, I get so absorbed into the intricateness of it.

I don't know if I can fully explain this concept well, but when i listen to music, each note is almost three-dimensional. If I listen closely enough and I start to realize each note has sort of a shape and texture. For example, when I listen to a single hard jab of a key on the piano,it produces a strong tremor that rushes towards me like a bullet and just bursts in my ear cavity. It feels like what a waves would feel like after a stone had been dropped in still water. The note trembles until it fades completely. Every type of sound has it's own feel, and a bunch of them mixed together create a work of art. I just love sitting down and listening to a varied playlist. From rock to trance and to classical, each genre provides a different landscape of sounds which are all entrancing to the ear.

Music is something that I will never leave alone.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/music

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly where you're coming from when you say you hear music in 3D sometimes. In choir in high school we always used to analyze music and see what different images and colors the different tones produced in our minds. Not only does music make you feel a certain way - happy or sad or whatever - but it can also generate a certain color association that we can't really control. At one point I found a website that dealt with this stuff so if I ever find it again I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete